Sunday, August 30, 2009

I love being a girl (most of the time).

I have always been a girly girl. My parents tried to sign me up for sports. I would have none of it. Not that I think there is anything wrong with sports, it's just not in my nature to care about them. I have always loved music and singing and the performing arts. Instead of soccer or gymnastics like most girls my age, I wanted to take singing lessons.
When I was young, my mom would sit me on the toilet backwards and would brush my hip-length hair out and then french braid it or crimp it, or put rollers in it. Even though she yanked the heck out of my head (love you Mom!), I loved the end result. I picked out my outfits the night before, carefully matching and color coordinating my Keds with alternating colors of layered socks, leggings and t-shirt. Now, I'm more into Banana Republic and Nordstrom, but I started refining my taste at an early age.
I was an early bloomer (I had boobs at age 10- yeah, it sucked), I wore as much makeup as I was allowed to, and would bring it to school so I could reapply as the day went on. If only I had know about Sephora at that point!! I was still carrying my Cover Girl compact in my back pocket. I remember waking up extra early just so I could spend an hour doing my hair. And, my feet are now numb because I started wearing 3 inch heels to school when I was 15. Not in a slutty way, but just in a clearly-heels-are-more-awesome-than-tennis-shoes way.
I love dressing up, being feminine, being a sister and a daughter. I love chick flicks, and Jane Austen, and Ben and Jerry, and chocolate. I love that boys open doors for us girls, pay for our dinner, let us lay on their shoulder and tell us how good we look and how good we smell. I hate spiders, and being cold, and scary movies. I love that I get to be a mom, and at some point also have a career, if I want to. I really love ALMOST everything about being a girl and almost all girly things (except Twilight. That is a girly thing I do not love).
But sometimes, you feel helpless. When you're alone in a parking lot at night, or you're alone in your apartment at night, or you can't move something, or you really just need a hug. I hate feeling helpless. I hate the acute realization of my limitations. That's when I hate being a girl. But, most of the time, I LOVE it.

No comments: